Spinner is the manufacturer of the type of Police flying car in Blade Runner that can drive as a ground car, take off vertically, hover and cruise using jet propulsion much like Vertical Take-Off and Landing (VTOL) aircraft today. They are used extensively by the police to survey the population, and its clear that despite restrictions wealthy people can acquire spinner licenses. It was designed by Syd Mead and has been replicated in films such as The Fifth Element and Star Wars prequel trilogy.
- The film Back to the Future Part II paid homage to the Spinner from Blade Runner in that a garishly repainted spinner can be seen parked in a driveway. A spinner car also rests on the Hill Valley Street during the hoverboard chase.
- Another tribute to the Blade Runner spinner can be seen at various points in the Star Wars films Episode I: The Phantom Menace and Episode II: Attack of the Clones; the homage was made in part with regard to similarities between urban traffic of 2019 Los Angeles as portrayed in Blade Runner, and that of the city-planet Coruscant as depicted in the Star Wars prequel films.
- BRmovie.com – Spinner collectibles
- TheForce.net – 3D Spinner model
- MattWalsh.com – Spinner blueprint
|The Blade Runner series|
|Films||Blade Runner | Soldier|
|Characters||Rick Deckard | Eldon Tyrell | Gaff | Rachael | Roy Batty | Leon Kowalski | Pris | Zhora | J.F. Sebastian|
|Locations||Tyrell Corporation | Bradbury Building | Tannhauser Gate|
|Cast||Harrison Ford | Rutger Hauer | Sean Young | Edward James Olmos | Daryl Hannah|
|Crew||Ridley Scott | Hampton Fancher | Michael Deeley | David Peoples|
|Novels||Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? | The Edge of Human | Replicant Night | Eye and Talon|
|Games and comics||The Blade Runner Videogame | A Marvel Comics Super Special: Blade Runner | Blade Bummer|
|Making ofs||Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner | On the Edge of Blade Runner | Future Shocks|
|Other topics||Philip K Dick | Themes | Soundtrack | Vangelis | Voight-Kampff machine | Spinner | Replicants|